Library Information | Search the Collection | Services | E-Resources | Contact Us
Library and information services play a significant role in the teaching, learning and research activities of a University. The Addis Ababa University Libraries(AAUL) , whose major objectives is to serve the instructional and interdisciplinary research functions of the University, is the largest research library in Ethiopia, with a collection of over 600,000 catalogued volumes, 632 microform formats, more than 3,000 serial titles, and more than 10,000 titles of electronic journals and other scholarly databases.
In order to meet its objective, the AAUL has organized its collections in one main library and eight branch libraries attached to different faculities of the univeristy
- John F. Kennedy Memorial (Main) Library
- Faculty of Business and Economics Library
- Faculty of Law Library
- Central Medical Library
- Faculty of Science Library
- Faculty of Technology (North) Library
- Faculty of Technology (South) Library
- Education Library
- Graduate Library
Library Opening Hours
|Monday to Sunday
||8:00 a.m - 6:00 p.m
AAU Libraries Catalogue
The AAU Libraries Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) holds all the catalogue records of the main and constituent libraries. It is organized into two bibliographic databases: The Union Catalogue(the main catalogue) and the Ethiopian Collection Catalogue.
The Union catalogue contains over half a million volumes of books and bound journals. The Ethiopian Collection database contains over 30,000 volumes of books, theses and disserations and other documents in English languages and other languages.
The Addis Ababa University Libraries gives various services to its user community. The services rendered include:
- Circulation Services
- Short Loan (Spot Reading) Service: Spot reading or short loan service is a loan service given for a short period of time. Users are lent materials for a specified time by filling a time card. This service is provided in all branch libraries and reading rooms for all users.
- Long Loan Service: This service is a loan service that is provided for all academic and administrative staff of the University, all postgraduate students, all undergraduate regular students regardless of academic and all extension students who are 2nd year and above. Users are provided with pockets for borrowing materials for 15 days.
- Reservation of materials: Reservation is a method of making books reserved for only spot reading and not for long term loan so that the books can be distributed to all the concerned students fairly since spot reading service is given for a short period of time which is normally one hour. Instructors can select books to be reserved for spot reading by bringing the books they want to be reserved from the stack. However, for reservation to be done the book student ration has to be at least one to twenty.
- Reference Services
- E-Resource Services
- Photocopying Services
- Repography Services
- UN Repository Services
- Services for Visually Impaired
- Computing Services
- Binding Services
- Audio Visual Services
Location: Sidist Kilo Campus
Postal Address: Addis Ababa University Libraries, P.O.Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel. +251 11 123 9719